We all know about the hazards of smoking, especially the smokers. Yet, they still puff away senselessly throwing away health. Why? For most, the toll on the body takes effect not now…but perhaps 10-20 years later for most and for others even longer.

By then, many will come to regret. One public figure whose testimony is etched in my memory is the late Yul Brynnar, American actor fame for his roles in the Ten Commandants, the King and I, Magnificent Seven. Before he passed on from cancer, he did a public education recording to advise young people not to smoke.

Alas like all other public messages, they fell on deaf ears.

A stick of cigarette contains over 4000 types of chemicals, of which 400 are poisonous and 40 are cancer-causing. The litany of chemicals contained in a single cigarette, given by the Health Promotion Board Singapore, includes:

Nicotine: Causes addiction and withdrawal symptoms upon cessation. It stimulates the brain so that the smoker feels alert at first but eventually, it dulls the brain and senses. Nicotine causes the release of adrenaline, which makes the heart beat faster and work harder. Nicotine also makes blood clot more readily, increasing the smoker's risk of heart attack.

Carbon monoxide: A dangerous gas found in car exhaust smoke. It replaces as much as 15% of the oxygen which would normally be carried by the red blood cells, so the smoker's heart, which needs more oxygen, gets even lesser. It also makes the smoker suffer from shortness of breath and lack of stamina. Carbon monoxide damages the inner lining of blood vessels and can lead to increased risk of heart attack.

Tar: Used to cover surface of roads. Many cancer-causing substances are found in tar. Some of these are benzo, pyrene, nitrosamine and B-napthylamine, cadmium and nickel.

Acetone: Paint stripper.
DDT: A pesticide which kills mosquitoes and ants.
Arsenic: White ant poison and used by many famous murderers.
Cadmium: A chemical found in car batteries.
Formaldehyde: Used to embalm dead bodies.
Ammonia: An active ingredient in floor cleaners.
Hydrogen cyanide: A poison used in gas chambers.
Naphthalene: A killer ingredient found in mothballs.
Polonium-210: A radioactive substance.
Vinyl chloride: Chemical used to make plastic.

As a one time heavy smoker, I find it easier to give up smoking altogether via the “cold turkey” route. I gave up smoking not once but twice in my life time. The first was when I was 21, and I stopped for some 12 years before I went back to smoking. Why? Because I went on a holiday to Paris, bought a carton as part of the holiday and got hooked again. The second time was some 20 years ago when I realised that I was smoking more than 20 sticks a day, and still urging for more.

I decided enough was enough. I took up weights and running as a motivation. Sports and smoking don’t go in tandem because you lose stamina when you smoke. In many ways I suppose I have a strong will-power. To permanently nail the old habit, I went to church and made a promise never to smoke again. Today I can empathise with those who smoke but will not touch another cigarette. I run regularly, and have no regrets giving up smoking. If I can do it, why not you?


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: