Recently a colleague and I were discussing the benefits and weaknesses of listening to Music.

Music was, she claimed, a distraction from the actual exercise itself. She used to listen to music while exercising, but found it more beneficial when she was not listening to music. She explained that she found herself perspiring even more when she did not listen to music. Also, because she had no music, she just wanted to ‘get over with it’ as quickly as possible

I’ve also come to realize that Music has serious cons if you are intending to run and get serious running results. You will not be able to seriously concentrate on both your running and the music.

Personally, I love listening to music while exercising. I make sure the tunes I choose are fast paced so that I’m motivated to run faster. I cannot imagine taking long runs without music. Its sort of like dancing but not looking weird while in the gym. It also helps me when I think I’m about to give up and I tell myself ‘Just after this song.’

Well, music can actually distract you. And it can even be abit dangerous if you’re on the roads and there are cars and bicycles that you cannot hear behind you. Also it may put off the your rhythmic pace and you jog according to the beats of your song.


That being said, I still think its perfectly safe to jog on the threadmill with an Ipod or what whatever MP3 player you use. The pace you run to is guided by the machine. It should be perfect if you intend to lose weight but intend to have a have fun at it. What better way to start your day than to listen to a great energizing song while sweating it out and releasing those wonderful chemicals (endorphins). Also, it is most likely you will not face any distractions. Except if a really hot guy or girl comes up to you to make friends with you… its possible you might not be able to hear them


This entry was posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: